- International candidates
- Entrance Exam Filière Universitaire Internationale (FUI)
- Entrance Examinations
- The examinations can be conducted in either French or English.
- International centers set up around the world.
Check for eligibility
An initial selection based on academic records, motivation letter and letters of recommendation. More on ‘Applications’
The eligibility committee selects a list of candidates based on the number of places available and the results of the evaluation of application materials.Academic records, motivation letter and letters of recommendation are all considered in determining the eligibility of a candidate prior to examination.
The exams may be taken either in France or abroad, depending on the candidate's country of residency.
The exams consist of 5 mandatory tests:
Two Written exams in :
- Mathematics (120 min) Examination 2020
- Physics (120 min) Examination 2020
Three Oral examinations in:
- Mathematics (55 min)
- Physics (55 min)
- General Scientific Knowledge (45 min) : an interview focusing on the analysis of scientific documents (30 min) and the candidate's motivation (15 min). The oral examination in General Scientific Knowledge is the only examination preceded by a 30-min preparation period.
The previous examinations 2017 to 2019 are accessible on Gargantua.
An average ranking is established for each candidate having undergone all the tests given the following coefficients assigned to each examination:
For written exams :
- 3 in Mathematics
- 2 in Physics
For oral exams :
- 6 in Mathematics
- 4 in Physics
- 2 in General Scientific Knowledge and motivation
The admissions jury determines the list of admitted candidates. Admission criteria include both the quality of the candidate's academic records and his/her results in the examinations.
Admission to Ecole Polytechnique is confirmed after the students have met the following conditions:
1) Prior to the students' arrival at Ecole Polytechnique:
- checking that the candidate meets the physical fitness conditions set by the Ministry of Defense
- verifying that the candidate is not in a situation that is incompatible with the student status of Ecole Polytechnique.
2) When students have arrived at Ecole Polytechnique:
at the latest, before the beginning of the advanced scientific curriculum, verification that the candidate meets the French language proficiency requirement