1958 to today
After the torment of the two World Wars which took a heavy toll, École Polytechnique finally resumes its original academic mission. In 1976 the school is once again relocated, this time to its current location in Palaiseau, marking the start of a new era oriented towards research and international development.
July 4, 1959
The “research springboard” is instated by the Guillaumat Decree, enabling students to start working in research directly after graduating from the school.
The school becomes a public establishment, placed under the Ministry of Defense.
The first women are admitted to the school, and a young woman, Anne Chopinet, becomes valedictorian of her class.
The school is relocated to Palaiseau (south of Paris) next to the headquarters of the CEA, the CNRS, and the University of Paris-Sud in Orsay.
The school confers its first doctoral degree.
The school celebrates its 200th anniversary, with a visit from President François Mitterrand to the campus.
A special entrance exam is created for international students.
The Ingénieur Polytechnicien program is expanded from 3 to 4 years.
The number of students admitted per year is increased to 500, with 100 places reserved for international students.
The school joins the ParisTech Network along with 11 Parisian grandes écoles.
-Establishment of X-Creation, which stimulates the creation of startups based on technological advancements by researchers in the École Polytechnique laboratories.
-Creation of the Group Science Project (Projet Scientifique Collectif or PSC), an in-depth scientific project un travail d'approfondissement scientifique mené collectivement par un groupe d’élèves, on a subject of their choice, tout au long de la seconde année d’étude du cycle ingénieur.
Creation of the school’s first Academic and Research Chair in partnership with EDF on Sustainable Development.
The school’s Master’s programs are reformatted to European standards.
The Thalès group and the Institute of Optics (IOGS) build new facilities to the west side of the campus.
Inauguration of the new facilities of ENSTA (École Nationale Supérieure de Techniques Avancées) on the campus.
Reform of the École Polytechnique governance, including a redefinition of the roles of the President of the Board of Directors and the Director General of École Polytechnique.
Performing executive duties which he undertakes in a full-time role, the President of the Board of Directors is responsible ensuring that the school fulfills its missions, administered in the operational framework defined by the Board of Directors.
The Director General, selected among the General Officers, under the authority of the President of the Board of Directors, oversees the management and administration of the establishment and the military command of the school. The Director of Academic Affairs and Research is named by decree of the Minister of Defense, through nomination by the President of the Board of Directors after consulting the opinion of the Board.
Launch of Université Paris-Saclay.