The Chair "Arts & Sciences"
The Chair "Arts & Sciences", held by the École polytechnique, the École nationale supérieure des Arts Décoratifs-PSL and the Daniel and Nina Carasso Foundation, was inaugurated in September 2017.
By combining scientific and artistic narrative, the Chair aims to break away from sensitive and objective approaches to reality, to create new articulations between disciplines and to experiment with new practices.
The Chair works on themes related to the environment and climate, with a particular focus on the evolution of digital technologies and human-machine relations, in a civic and responsible approach, by exploring collaborative practices.
A chair oriented around 3 modes of action:
- Support for the production of artistic works in the arts and sciences involving students
- Research-creation engineering for project development
- Residencies or post-docs in research, teaching and creation
- Invitation of a foreign artist or scientist researcher
2. Academics and teaching
- Project-based teaching offered to students from both schools and related universities (Paris Saclay and PSL), under the supervision of Laurent Karst, designer, teacher-researcher and Labofactory member
- Arts & Science seminars every two months, alternating EnsAd/ X
- Internal workshops around ongoing projects
- Summer workshop every two years for the realization of an arts and culture project science
- Valuation of the multidisciplinary processes of the Chair through a post-doc (Manual Freire)
- Creation of an international journal "Arts-Sciences"
- Organization of "arts & sciences" events for artistic and scientific communities and a non-expert audience
- Workshops and study days on the themes addressed by the Chair