L’X gets involved in fighting sexism
École Polytechnique and 29 major companies have signed a pledge of common commitment against sexism in the workplace. Over the course of the coming year, the institution undertakes to implement at least one of the eight initiatives set out in the pledge.
On Tuesday, December 4, 2018, thirty companies and organizations, including École Polytechnique, as represented by Director-General, François Bouchet, signed a pledge of common commitment to combat everyday sexism in the workplace. The pledge earned the distinguished support of Marlène Schiappa, French Secretary of Equality between Women and Men and the Fight against Discrimination.
This pledge of commitment was the result of three months of work by close to 100 representatives from the operational, management and human resources services of the companies and organizations, in partnership with equality expert, Brigitte Grésy.
Inspired by the #StOpE initiative—whose goal is to share and promote good practice in combatting sexism and create a collective of companies, organizations and executives who are committed to this issue—the signatories have promised to work towards at least one of the following eight priority actions over the coming year:
1. Demonstrate and apply the concept of zero tolerance
2. Raise awareness of sexist behavior (acts, speech and attitudes) and its impact
3. Provide targeted training on duties and good practice in the fight against everyday sexism
4. Distribute educational resources to employees to tackle gender-based misconduct within companies
5. Encourage all employees to help identify and prevent sexist behavior and take action against everyday sexism
6. Prevent occurrences of sexism and provide personalized support to victims, witnesses and decision-making authorities in reporting and dealing with gender-based misconduct
7. Sanction inappropriate behavior and inform employees on sanctions involved
8. Measure and implement ways to monitor sexism to ensure that the policy against everyday sexism is upheld
List of 30 partner companies and organizations of the #StOpE initiative:
Accenture – AccorHotels – AccorInvest – The Adecco Group – Air France – Aviva – Axa – BNP Paribas – EDF – Dior – Ecole Polytechnique – Engie – EY – France TV – HPE – IBM – L’Oréal France – Lagardère – Lenovo – LVMH – Michelin – Orange – PageGroup – Schneider Electric – Siemens – Société Générale – SNCF – Solvay – Suez – Total